Monday, April 23, 2012

Day 1 - Diagnosis

Today, April 23, 2012, at 3:30pm CTS, I was diagnosed with colon cancer.  Me! I have cancer.  Me! Jo Edwards.  Little Jo Sue Hodnett from Eagle Lake, Texas.  I have cancer.  How weird is that?  I have cancer.  I can't believe it.   Other people have cancer.  Not me.

I have to admit I was nervous on my way to the doctor's office to hear the news.  After the colonoscopy last week, he indicated I would have to have surgery but wasn't sure it was cancer.  Well, of course it was.  Once I heard the words, it was almost a relief.  Okay, now I know.  I really do have cancer.   And so the journey begins.

I had a little cry but not a big one.  I sent out an email announcing my news.  Some news.  Ha!  I'm spending the evening alone.  My daughter wanted me to come over for dinner but I felt I really needed to process how I'm feeling and exactly how I'm going to handle this. 

How am I going to handle this?  I don't really know.  My first decision is this.  I am going to label myself a cancer survivor.  I usually think of a cancer survivor as someone whose cancer is in remission.  I'm not there yet but as long as I'm alive, I'm a survivor, aren't I?  I AM A CANCER SURVIVOR.
What next?

 Well, actually next is Cat/Pet Scan on Wednesday for staging.  That's a new term  I just learned.  It means the tests are to determine if the cancer has spread, where to and to what degree. 

How will I sleep tonight?  Will I even be able to sleep tonight?  I don't know.  Am I frightened?  I don't feel that now but will I feel it when I lay down to try to sleep?   Time to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment