Friday, April 27, 2012

Day 5

Just day 5? 
It seems like a year at least that I've been dealing with this thing.  I'm in Kerrville in a really nice hotel room that I treated myself to and relaxing before going back to Rivers Edge Gallery for this evening's reception.  The art is hung and looks beautiful.  This was a good break for me and I'm so glad I'm here.  Not that "you know what" is ever very far back in my mind but a change of scenery is nice. 
I had a few hours to think on the drive up this morning.  I have mentioned this before that it seems to me like Breast Cancer has a little glamour attached to it.  Nancy Reagan, Robin Roberts, Christina Applegate, Suzanne Somers - these women have all been spokeswomen for Breast Cancer Awareness with their cute little pink ribbons, pink caps, pink tees.  High school, college and NFL football players wear pink gloves during their games in support of breast cancer survival.  Even M&M's made pink candies in pink packages.  Pretty cool, huh?
Then there's colon cancer.  No pink ribbons.  No ribbons of any kind.  I mean, what color ribbon would you wear to support colon cancer awareness?  Brown?  Ugh!  And who is there to speak out for colon cancer awareness.  No one.  Well, not exactly no one.  There's me and................ wait for it ............wait for it............here it comes.............Ozzy Osbourne!  Yes!  The one and only old rocker, Ozzy Osbourne, the one who bit the heads off bats on stage during his performances.  Have you seen his commercial where his wife acting all cute and coy asks him if he could have anything he wants what would it be and he answers in his gutteral monotone voice that is almost unintelligible to the American ear, "A colonoscopy."  Oh my gosh.  That is sure going to have people out there rushing to a gastro to schedule the procedure.  So, I guess it's up to me.  Not that Ozzy and I don't have a lot in common when it comes to bats.  No, I never bit a head off of one but that's another story for another time. 
The more I share about this journey, the more people tell me of friends and relatives with colon cancer that are now cancer free.  That's very encouraging.  I know in my heart that this happened to me for a reason and that it is my job to take it and do the most with it that I can.  Whether or not I am healed yet, I want to honor God throughout this process and use it as a platform to encourage other people to be more aware of the signs their body is giving them, to take better care of themselves and most of all to appreciate the amazing gift that their body is. 
So now, I'm about to curl up for a nice little healing nap and then off to meet some new collectors.
Thank You God for a great day.

1 comment:

  1. Jo, Love the Ozzy story. And the bat connection is so funny, I'm so glad you finally got rid of those pesky critters. Have a wonderful show, wish we could come but we are with you in our hearts. Hugs, Mikki and Jack

    ReplyDelete