Friday, May 10, 2013

Day 382 In The Beginning

We are studying the Book of Revelation in Wednesday night's Bible Study.  I went back to the beginning of Revelation this morning and reread some of it.  In it, John sends letters to seven churches, some complimenting and some scolding.  In the letter to the church in Ephesus, he reports Jesus' admonition to them.

"You have forsaken your first love..........do the things you did at first."  Revelation 2:4,5

I had to stop after reading that scripture because it immediately took me back to when I was first saved, when I first realized that I was a child of God and how much He loved me.  I can tell you that at that time, it was sort of like I was walking on air.  I almost had to be shoved out of the way for the doors of the church to be opened because I was there constantly.  It can only be described as falling in love the first time.

As time passed and the newness wore off, my relationship with God had an ebb and flow.  That was until I began to truly study His word.  I believe that same newness and excitement can only be maintained by a constant study of His word, learning something new every time I open the Bible, better understanding those things that seemed strange to me at first glance. 

I challenge each of you today to think back on that first day of falling in love with God, with Jesus, with the Holy Spirit, and knowing for the first time that you truly belong to the Most High, that, no matter what, you're not alone.  I challenge you today as I challenge myself to keep that excitment and hope and love going with the same energy as in the beginning. 

Just a quick update.  The latest word from Lisa is that "all is going well."  Bryce checks into the hospital today for chemo and should be out tomorrow.  Bella is happy to be home with her family and dogs and is being waited on like the little princess that she is.  God is good.

Precious Lord, Jehovah Rapha,
You are truly the God who heals.  We thank You for how far you've brought Lisa and Bryce on their journey and are so grateful that You are taking them through to the finish line, destroying every cancer cell in their bodies.  We thank You for the comfort and grace that You are giving Bella and her family as they prepare for her transition to a better life.
Lord, I ask today for all of my friends that You just remind them what it was like when they first came to know You and to fall in love with You.  Let them carry that joy and excitement as they go through the rest of their day.  And remind them to slow down and just love You.
In Jesus' precious name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment