Thursday, May 16, 2013

Day 389 God Knows, God Shows

My path to God took a very circuitous route, as it probably has for many of you.  As a teenager, I turned from the church because I was raised in a church where the pastor was usually red faced, sweating, mopping his brow, pounding the pulpit and yelling about hell fire and damnation.  I was not one who could be brought into the fold by angry threats.  Thankfully, in my 30's after years of not even thinking about God, out of the blue He put a longing in my heart to find a church.  I had no idea what I was looking for in a church.  I only knew what I did not want in a church.  But, even at that point in my life, I obeyed Him pretty much without question.  So, one day I sat down with a big fat Yellow Pages for Houston, turned to the section on churches and started calling churches and asking them to send me information.  Those were the days before the internet so it was a slow process. 

I opened and read every communication.  Many of them, I had no idea what they were talking about.  But, one Sunday, I woke and knew immediately where I was supposed to go.  I have no doubt it was God directing my path.  I went and listened to a sermon and it was okay, but at the end, the pastor said these words:  "Welcome home, child of God."  Those words pierced my soul and for the first time, I came to know a loving God, not just a judging and condemning God.  That church might not be one that is considered acceptable to most Christians, but God tells us not to judge or demean how others worship.  I think that's because He knows He can use every church to touch someone.  He certainly knew what He was doing with me because it started me on a spiritual path I might never have traveled otherwise.

As time passed and I wanted to learn more than that church had to offer for me, I was led to the church I attend now.  But even then, it wasn't until my illness that I began to truly grow in God and have an almost overwhelming hunger to know more.  It is almost like there isn't enough time left for me to learn everything I have to learn, everything I want to know.   If someone were to ask if I wish I were 20 again, I would say "Yes!"    Not to be the pretty, healthy young woman I was then but because I would have so much more time to study, to learn and to share what I know.  As it is, God has given me a profession where I can work out of my home, work my own hours, and spend as much time in the Word, as I want.  It is a simple but awesome life He has rewarded me with.  And I am grateful.

Precious Lord, Jehovah Rapha,
I thank You for so much but most of all I thank You for the path You put me on so many years ago.  I even thank You for the cancer because if that had not been part of my journey, I might not have learned to love You as much, to lean on You as much, to trust You as much as I do now. 
I pray today. Lord, that there is a reward for everyone that has to deal with this dreaded disease and that the reward is to know You as the kind and loving God that You are.  And to have a closer walk, a closer relationship with You.
I love You, Lord.  I love You and I give You all the praise, honor, and glory.
In Jesus' precious name.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment