Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Day 426 Just Passing Through

Yesterday was my daughter Melanie's birthday and we celebrated with dinner out and then back to her home for cake and presents.  My son-in-law, John,  is a musician.  He sings, plays the guitar and writes some amazing songs.  My grandson is learning to play the guitar and all in all, it's a musical family. 

So, at the table, John played a Willie Nelson song that is a cover of a ColdPlay song which I had never heard.   I shared another  of Willie's songs, one that he had never heard.   It was one that Willie recorded with Sheryl Crowe called "Come On Up To The House".    I play it over and over and in my mind, "the house" in this song is a metaphor for God.  The refrain says:

This world is not my home.
I'm just passing through.
 
It tells us to quit whining because that does no good.  Just come on up to the house.  Just take our worries to God. 
 
For those of us who have faced some life challenging events, we know this home is temporary.  At the same time, this life being temporary does not require less of us.  It requires more.  Have you ever stayed in temporary housing for a few days or a few weeks waiting for a more permanent move?  There probably wasn't a feeling of responsibility for that place.   For us as Christians, we have to honor this life and this place we are given, even though it is temporary, because it is where we have the opportunity to come to know Jesus better and to know ourselves better.  It is where we learn to love Him more and to show that love as the guiding light of our life.  It is where we learn to care for this earth, for our loved ones and for our friends and neighbors.   It is an opportunity to do good for others and, in a way, it is a proving ground for our next life. 
 
Precious Lord, Jehovah Rapha,
I am so grateful Father for this life experience You have given me.   I hope to prove myself worthy of all You sacrificed for me.   I can't make this walk alone and I know that You are right alongside of me.  Thank You for being there for all of us all the time and for never abandoning us.  Help us today to honor You by living the best life that we can. 
Father, I am offering a special prayer today for our friend Lisa.  Her immune system is gone right now and she is in isolation and has spiked a fever.  We ask that Your healing touch energize every med she is given to fight the infection, to fight the multiple myeloma and to cure her completely.  She is such a passionate warrior for You.  Keep her safe and protected and let her feel Your presence today as You surround her with Your love.
I ask these things in the name of Jesus Christ, the name above all names.
Amen
 


No comments:

Post a Comment