Saturday, December 15, 2012

Day 237 At A Loss For Words

I read this morning looking for words of comfort for the tragedy that took place in Newtown, Ct., yesterday.  There were no words.  I scoured through verses that had touched me before but it seemed I couldn't find them. 

Finally, I realized it wasn't words I needed but a feeling, the feeling of love and protection that I pray for others so often.  What I was really looking for was that feeling of being wrapped in God's love and peace and care and understanding.  Only He can understand what went on yesterday in that little school.  Only He can understand what drove a young man to commit such a horrible crime.  Only He was there to comfort the little bodies, taking their souls into the folds of His arms.

I can't imagine what the parents are going through today now that reality has sunk in.  Do you turn to God or do you turn in anger from God?  Time will tell.  My thoughts go back to the Amish school a few years ago when a man broke into the school, assaulted and killed several students.  The community decided as a whole to forgive him.  Will these parents ever be able to reach that point of peace where they can forgive the man who so brutally stole their future?  Could I?  I don't know.

Maybe if they can embrace these three little words, they'll be able to honor their children's memories and still reach a place of peace and solace.

"TRUST IN HIM."         
Psalm 37:5

That is something those fighting cancer have to do daily.  The trust has to be total and unquestioning, knowing that we are in His hands and His mercy and compassion are there for us.
How fortunate we are to serve such an awesome God. 

Precious Father, Jehovah Rapha,
We pray today for the parents and families of the children lost yesterday.  We know that the children rest safely in the comfort of Your arms but it is the families who need our prayers.  Bless them, comfort them, reassure them that they'll be with their loved one again some day in a joyous reunion.
We love You, Lord, and thank You for everything You do for us in our time of need.
In the name of Jesus Christ, the one true Messiah.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment