Monday, November 12, 2012

Day 203 The Day After...........

Thank you all for the wonderful birthday wishes.  They all came true because I had a memorable evening with my little family.    Though we're few, the love is huge and I'm so grateful.

I looked at myself in the mirror in Mel's house last night and I was shocked.  The mirror is larger and lighting is different from mine and I saw for the first time how much hair I've lost, mostly in the front.  I sort of look like those guys getting hair transplants where you see little plugs of hair poking up out of a bare scalp.  Not a pretty sight.  Oh well.  I just realized that I don't care.  I worried early on about getting a wig if this happened but now I've decided it's just not worth the trouble.  Lots of women have thin hair and, besides, it'll grow back once chemo is over.............I hope.  Not that I don't care how I look.  I do.  But there are some things that are just not worth worrying about.

I had an ah ha moment yesterday.  I ran in to Walmart to pick something up and the lady in front of me in the checkout line turned out to be someone I hadn't seen in several years.  We hugged and when she asked how I was doing, instead of telling her I was going thru chemo for colon cancer to explain why I look like a pale balding old lady, I just smiled and said, "Great."   I didn't realize until I had left the store what an important moment that was for me.  I did not identify myself as a cancer fighter/survivor/victor.  Just me.  Jo Edwards and I'm doing great.

I'll be leaving in a few minutes for blood work and then tomorrow the start of treatment #10.  Five months down.  I won't make light of it because it's been a really difficult five months but there's light at the end of the tunnel.   Only two more treatments after this one, then a pet scan and I'll be done.

Precious Lord, Jehovah Rapha,
Thank You for this cool and cloudy day, a sign of a change of seasons, and for the excitement and anticipation that change brings.
I thank You Father for taking me through the last five months, wrapped in Your healing and loving arms.  Thank You for all You've taught me through this. 
I ask that same comfort for each of my fellow cancer warriors out there.  I ask Your healing mercies for each one as they face another day of challenges.  Teach us to count it all joy as we draw closer to You through these changes.
I ask special blessings on the medical staff and care givers that tend these valiant warriors.  Give them special insight into what is best for each one of us.
These things I ask in the name of Jesus Christ, the one true Messiah.
Amen

1 comment:

  1. Happy belated birthday, dear Jo.
    Wishes for many, many more!

    Hugs
    gracie

    ReplyDelete