Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Day 346 Between Two Worlds

Today I'm talking about food..........again.   It is a struggle every day for me to balance what is good for me and what I need to be eating with what tastes really good.   Like most everyone, I love sweets, fried things, and rich gravies and sauces.  Moderation doesn't seem to exist in my culinary world so I have to work harder than some on making what is good for me nutritionally taste as good as those things that aren't.

I have written often about trying to focus on antiangiogenesis foods.  www.eattodefeatcancer.com
They are foods that inhibit the growth of blood vessels that feed cancer cells.  That is a simple layman's term for a more complicated theory but it is one that is gaining more and more support all the time.

Last week I was thinking about the Spanish Slaw that Lubys used to serve when they were open here in town.  Sadly, they closed years ago but of all the things they served, that one has stayed in my mind.  As I try to incorporate more raw veggies into my diet, this seemed like a delicious way to do it.  So I went on google and there was the recipe for it.  Yummo.  I am sharing it with you here with a few changes to make it more AA.  Hope you enjoy.

                                                            Spanish Slaw

1 medium head of green cabbage, chopped
1 cup thinly sliced dill pickles
1 cup chopped red, green or yellow peppers
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup sliced green onions
*Any other veggies that you enjoy such as broccoli, cauliflower, jicama, zucchini
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup dill pickle juice
1/4 cup vinegar
1 individual packet of stevia
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Combine  all ingredients from water through pepper and pour over mixed veggies.  Refrigerate for at least two hours, stirring often.  The longer this sits, the better it is.  If you like your slaw a little sweeter, add a second packet of stevia.


Precious Lord, Jehovah Rapha,
I thank You today for the wonderful foods You have given us to nourish our bodies and I thank You for the constantly increasing knowledge of healing that comes eating those foods, especially in their natural state.
Father, I ask that You bless those foods to the healing and nourishment of our bodies as we honor the gift from You that our bodies are by giving them the care that they deserve. 
Thank You Father for all You do for us every minute of every day.
In humble gratitude and in the name of the one true Messiah, Jesus Christ.
Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment