Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Day 365 365 Days!

Today, April 23rd, is the one year anniversary of the day when I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer.  I'm not celebrating it for sure because it made me part of a club that absolutely no one wants to belong to.  But, in a way, it is almost more important than the day I was declared cancer free and that was February 21st of this year. 

I have to think a bit on why I make that statement but here it is.  Not to plagarize Maya Angelou, but I "wouldn't take nothing for my journey".  No, I certainly don't want to repeat it but April 23rd started me on an unforgettable journey that is far from over.  It has been a journey primarily of discovery.  I've discovered strength in my determination to "do it all myself".   Not that I didn't want and occasionally accept and appreciate help from others during the worst days, but I was determined not to become an invalid and give in to the sickness I was dealing with.   I've discovered a new faith in God as He guided me through those bad days.  I discovered a new love for the Bible as I studied His word and looked for the messages that are there for me to find ..... for myself.  I began to honor the gift that my body and my health are in a new way that I had not before.

In short, I'm a changed person.  I believe I'm a better person.  Sad that it took something like cancer to make the difference in me that it has.  I would bet that most people who have dealt with cancer will have the same response that I have.   Nothing they would want to do again, but it has had a profoundly positive effect on their life.  We have learned that what the enemy has hidden in darkness, God has exposed.  God has taken evil and used it for good and He delivered us for a good purpose.  What an awesome God we serve.

"But we also rejoice in our sufferings because we know that suffering produces perserverance; persevernce produces character and character, hope.  And hope does not disappoint us because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit whom He has given us."  Romans 5:3-5

Precious Lord, Jehovah Rapha,
I thank You for Your trust in me that You gave me this journey to embark upon and that You used it for my growth in faith and trust and love for You.  In the end. all the bad days were worth the good days to come and I am grateful.  I have learned and know for certain now that wherever there is a dark cloud, that You are in that cloud and will bring the sunshine through in the end. 
I give You all the praise, honor and glory for these amazing changes in my life.
I love You, Lord.  I love You.
In Jesus' precious name, the name above all names.
Amen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment