Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Day 106 Learning More and More Every Day

A good report today.  Yayyyyy!!!!!!!!  First day of treatment with my new oncologist.  When I wrote that I felt like I had upgraded from McDonalds to Tonys, that was not an understatement.  I can only say that my first two treatments were brutal in comparison to the treatment I had yesterday. 

First was the standard infusion of benadryl and steroids.  Dr #1 used a syringe and pumped it so fast into the port that fumes from the chemical came up through my nose and mouth.  Yesterday, it was given in a gentle drip with only the smallest sense of the chemicals.  Dr. P, my new onco, was in the room the whole time monitoring the condition of everyone undergoing treatment.  A sweet nurse actually administered the meds, explaining every dose. 

Before I went in for treatment, Dr P sat with me and asked lots of questions and then explained what he was going to try with me to make sure the nausea was minimized as much as possible.  He changed what I was taking for the diarrhea to an otc med.  There is a three dose nausea med that is very expensive but he had a sample for me to use the first time.  It's very expensive and we're waiting now for insurance to approve it.  He changed the other nausea med that wasn't working to an oldtime one that seems to work well for me.  Just got a call from Dr P's office that insurance approved the med.  Oh, and I don't go for additional infusion on day 2.  Just day1 and then the pump thru day 3 when it comes off.
Praise God.

My next challenge is one of forgiveness.  I do feel anger right now for the oncologist that treated me so poorly.   I don't want to feel anger because it will inhibit my healing so I will work on that the next few days. 

Side effects?  Yes there are still some.  First of all, I'm really shaky, not just my hands but my voice too.  Sometimes when I talk I almost don't recognize my voice but I'm sure that will subside after a couple of days.  Rocks in my throat when I drink anything that isn't warm and my first bite of food sets off nerves in the back of my jaw to underneath my ears.  I can tolerate these things easily.  Actually I'm feeling so good I think I may go to the store today and get some stuff to make soup.  I usually use chicken but since dark meat turkey is antiangiogenesis, I may try making a pot with a turkey leg for the meat.

I saw this pic today on FB and had to share.  This precious baby is fighting cancer so we sure want to pray for him today.



  It reminds me of when my Mel was that age at Texas Children's having her first kidney surgery.  Thanks to God and good doctors, she didn't need another surgery until she was 40 and I got to contribute to that one.  Six years later she's in perfect health and now worrying about her Mom instead of the other way around. 

I received a prayer request yesterday that our co-pastor at Texas Cowboy Church, Laurie, was notified that her aunt has been diagnosed with colon cancer and will be undergoing tests the next few days to determine treatment.  I am passing that prayer request on to you, that she is guided to the right doctors and that God's hand is with her and her physicians. 

Precious Father,
I thank You for this glorious day.  I thank You for my wellbeing.  I thank You for my new oncologist.  I ask Your help in forgiving the other doctor because I know that only by forgiving him can You forgive me for my sins and shortcomings.
Today Lord, I ask special blessings on the little boy whose picture I shared today.  I don't know him personally but You do.  Give him, his parents and his doctors the strength and guidance to defeat this hated enemy so that he can live a long life as a testament of Your healing power.   And special blessings on Laurie's aunt, that she have the knowledge of your healing power and guidance in making decisions about her treatments.
Isaiah said in verse 58:8  Then your light shall break forth like the dawn, and your healing shall spring up quickly.."
Let Your healing spring up quickly for all of us in our battle with this enemy, defeating it on every front from which it attacks us.  We are free of cancer.
In Jesus' precious name, the one true Messiah,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment