Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Day 331 Length of Days

When I see the word "length of days" I always think of long life.  In a devotional that I read recently, it was pointed out that since God used "length of days" and "long life" together in this verse in Proverbs, "length of days" must mean time or hours in the day.  That thought has stayed with me.

"My daughter (pardon me for personalizing), forget not my law, but let your heart keep my commandments.  For length of days and long life and peace shall they add to you."  Proverbs 3:1,2

My days still seem to end a lot earlier than I would like them to as the effects of chemo are slowly but surely clearing out.  I had plans yesterday to go to the Y to walk on the treadmill and when I got there I just didn't have the energy to get out of the car so I drove back home and hit the couch.  My prayer this week will be for longer days so that I can squeeze in the prayer and study time, paint time, and exercise.   Notice I conveniently left out any reference to housework. 

For the past two weeks while Pastor RO was on a mission trip to Romania, Rosemary, who leads the music ministry, has delivered the Sunday morning message.  Let me say first of all, that we don't have a quickie service at our church.  There is an hour of praise and worship music followed by the message which usually runs about an hour.  So that means that for last Sunday's service, Rosemary planned an extensive music program, practiced with the singers, and put together a wonderful message about loving God.  All this while working a full time job.  That, to me, is a pretty good example of God lengthening someone's days. 

So, for each of us this week, I am asking for, not just long life, but length of days so that we have more time to do what we need to do and time to do what we want to do and then time to slow down and just love Him.

Father God, Jehovah Rapha,
We thank You Lord for this gorgeous day and each and every hour in this day in which to do more, to accomplish more and to just love You more.
You are the God who heals and we thank You for that healing, giving us another opportunity to make the best of our time here on this wonderful earth that You thought into existence.  Help us to honor You as we learn to better care for our health, doing our part in gratitude for the life You have given us.
You are great.  You are wonderful.  You are our all.
In Jesus' precious name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment