Monday, September 24, 2012

Day 154 The Power of Patience

The weekend did not go as I had expected.  After making it through the typically worst days, Thursday and Friday, I thought I would be up and ready to go by Saturday and Sunday.  Not so fast, grasshopper.  I obviously ate something I should not have and, let me tell you, hell hath no fury as an angry colon.  Oh my gosh.  Back to the couch for another two days.

I had plans to start a large commission over the weekend, to finish up a small one, and to earn some more money for the Lord and me.  It all belongs to Him anyway, and I'm honored every time I write a check of thanks.  So, why another setback?

Today's devotional in Streams in the Desert speaks to that.  George Matheson describes times when he felt he was to do God's work but was forced to turn back or to stop and heal from an unexpected illness.  In his words:

" But I finally remembered that the Spirit requires not only a service of work but also a service of waiting." 

Sometimes there is learning in the waiting and an opportunity for prayer and reflection and study that wouldn't have happened otherwise.  Whatever the reason, I accept it with gratitude knowing it's from God.   This short poem completed the devotional for today.

When I cannot understand my Father's leading,
And it seems to be but hard and cruel fate,
Still I hear that gentle whisper ever pleading,
God is working, God is faithful, ONLY WAIT.
 
 
Precious Father, Jehovah Rapha,
Thank You so much for the timely words in this little book.  Only You know exactly what I need and when I need it. 
Thank You for reminding me that it is all in Your timing, not mine.
My healing will come and I will gratefully receive it when You say it is time for it.
When I think that I can't deal with this for another three months, You send me word that I can.
What a great and awesome Father You are.
I ask your healing blessings today and the power of patience for each and every one of us fighting this terrible enemy.  Give us the strength to take advantage of our "down" time to use it to bring us closer to You.
In the name of Jesus Christ, the name above all names.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment