Monday, June 11, 2012

Day 47 I'm Ba-a-a-ack!!!!!!!

I spent so much time here at the computer recording everything leading up to surgery that it feels a little strange to be back here.  First a huge THANK YOU! for all the emails, calls, prayers and well wishes on my behalf.  Let me say this.  I feel great!  My doctor was a medical mechanical master.  The surgery was done laproscopically with only two little punctures for guiding the mechanics and a 3" incision for removing what needed to be removed, two hours instead of predicted four hours.  Surgery at 1pm on Wednesday and I was home by 1pm on Saturday.  Woo Hoo!!

I understand from family and friends that the first hours after surgery were pretty bad but, God, in His infinite wisdom erased that time from my mind.  Seeing the pics my ornery family took of me in recovery, I looked more like a cadaver than a live person but that's okay.  Between family, friends, and staff at Methodist, I had the most wonderful care.   For some reason, God granted me a huge private room with it's own little foyer at the end of the hall with a huge wall of windows and a gorgeous view of the skyline.  It couldn't have been nicer.

There was a steady trail of doctors, nurses, visitors and I only had a mini meltdown one day.  I was so tired of everything and started to cry.  I thought my nurses were going to cry too,  Four of them were gathered around consoling me and asking what they could do.  After that I had about a two hour healing nap and all was good again.  I even "counseled" with one nurse on our walk about what a difference changing her diet would make in the discomforts she was having.  Isn't that a hoot?!  The nurse confiding in me and then telling me how glad she was that she had a chance to talk with me....Wow!

The big deal during the hospital stay was whether the "splice" in the colon would hold.   If it didn't, I would be in big trouble.  It was pretty suspenseful every time I went to the bathroom.  Would it be liquid, gaseous or solid?  When the eagle finally landed about 1am on Saturday, the nurses all clapped and cheered, sent word to the doctor and came back to tell me how happy he was.  I felt like a child that had just made its first potty.

Melanie, Darlene, and mostly Tineke were with me almost around the clock.  How awesome was that?!  The nurses were wonderful but more important was to look over and see someone who already knows and loves me there standing by my side, ready to do anything.  Pastors RO and Laurie were there during surgery and RO was back for healing prayer during my stay. 

So, I'm home.  I feel good.  I get up and down fine.  The innards are a little sore but pain meds take care of that.  I've cleaned the kitchen, swiffered the floor, cooked for myself.  I'm careful about not picking up anything too heavy and I won't push a vacuum for a while but that certainly won't hurt my feelings.  So, what's next?

Pathology came back before I left on Saturday.  One of the ten lymph nodes was positive so that means chemo.  It is almost a relief.  My precious brother had this surgery back in the 1980's with no followup treatment and a few short years later had died from cancer in his liver and lungs.  I want followup treatment.  This way, if there are any rogue cells floating around in my system, the chemo and antiangiogenesis diet I'm following should take care of them.   So, now I have to decide on an oncologist.  Most people immediately think MD Anderson.  I've heard both pros and cons about that.  My doctors have recommended an oncologist that did visit with me in the hospital.  Maybe I'll see him and make an appointment at MD also to compare. 

What this means is that my journey is not complete.  Victory is already mine and I know that but whatever the eventual outcome, I have learned so much through these last 47 days.  My life has changed in a positive way.  I am able to rely on God and on the love and friendship of others in a way that I had never been able to before.  I am blessed and I am grateful.

Precious Lord,
James said "My brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it nothing but joy."  I thank You Father for this journey and for the privilege of being used by You to touch others.  I never expected to have a true ministry but You've given me one and my life has a direction that it never had before.  I ask for that same comfort and satisfaction for everyone else out there fighting this hated enemy.  I love You Lord.  I love You.
In Jesus' name.
Amen

1 comment:

  1. Jo thanks so much for the update! You have been so much on my mind and I am so grateful you are home safely. God bless you,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete