Thursday, June 28, 2012

Day 65 Surgery Scheduled...Again

Surgery Scheduled sounds a lot more serious than it is.  I met with the surgeon yesterday and am scheduled to have the port installed on Monday.  General anesthesia and should only take about 30 minutes.  That way it will be in place to start chemo exactly 5 weeks after surgery which the oncologist says is the optimum time. 

So, here's what I learned about the port.  It's placed under the skin just below the collar bone and then will have a tube going into one of the main veins where the blood flow is strongest.  The reason for this is that the chemo is pretty caustic and would burn up smaller veins like in the arm where the flow isn't as rapid.  So, like I've always heard, it's poison and will be pumped into my body every two weeks for six months to kill those random enemy cells still floating around.  Bring it on! I'm ready to get this done and over with.  But I have to be even more diligent at this point to make sure my body is fortified with the best food and supplements to minimize the side effects.

Now, vanity comes into play.  I may or may not lose my hair.  And I will say that I probably have the boniest collarbone ever.  So, that port is going to look like a worm working its way under the skin.  I whined to Mel yesterday that bald and worms under the skin on my chest would not make a pretty picture.  I got a lecture back.  She even called me "Missy".  Uh oh...............  That means I'm in trouble.  So, here's the plan.  If I lose my hair, I'm thinking maybe a red wig.  If not red, then maybe platinum.  Or maybe both.  Why not?  This is not the time to be serious but a time to indulge myself. 

When I met with the surgeon yesterday, he was very serious and did not smile through the entire appointment but he did comment that he thought I looked very good to have just had surgery.  I heard the same thing last week from my oncologist and my cardiologist.  So, I give God credit for an incredible recovery in spite of my whining.  Next I credit awesome Dr. Mahmood for his magical surgical techniques.  Thirdly I have to pat myself on my back for getting serious the minute I was diagnosed to research what I could do to help myself nutritionally through the process.  I think back to when my precious brother was diagnosed with this same disease.  There was no internet to go to for information and very little printed material for the lay person.  There were xrays but no pet scan to show cancer cells reacting to sugar.  There may have been cat scans but that technology was in its infancy.   There were theories about nutrition but they probably held very little validity in most people's minds.  He just really didn't have a chance of survival. 

I feel good today.  I should.  I slept until 8am.  Wow......  I feel strong and I feel agressive.  I feel like I can kick C's butt today and it doesn't have a chance against me.  Going to buy some fresh beets today after reading www.eattodefeatcancer.com 's note yesterday about adding them to the diet.  I love cooked beets.  I tried adding the fresh ones to my juicing but that was just a little offputting.  I guess I can do it if I have to but I want to try grating a little into a salad first.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Yay Precious Lord!
I feel awesome today.  It's been a few low days but I feel today like I'm on my way to a complete healing and I'm so excited.  I give You all the praise, honor and glory for this.  It's all You, Father, all You.  I wish I could bottle this feeling right now and share it with everyone out there fighting this enemy so that they could feel the comfort of Your healing presence and the security of knowing how much of the victory is in their hands.  Thank You, Lord, for the knowledge that You have given us so that we may take part in our healing.  We love You.
In Jesus' name,
Amen







No comments:

Post a Comment