Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Day 48 One Day Up, Next Day Down

I wonder why when you leave the hospital, you're simply turned loose with no idea of what to expect.  Yesterday started great, then quickly morphed into a day of nausea and severe heart burn.  I hardly ate all day and just sat in a stupor.  I'm somewhat better today.  I've decided I need to set a routine of eating, walking and resting.  Too hot to walk outside, so I'll just make the rounds in here.  So far, I've eaten two tiny meals, walked and had a healing nap inbetween.  Once I'm through at the computer, I'll start the walking rounds and then down again.

At the hospital, I was dosed daily and almost hourly with pain meds, nausea medicine, heart burn medicine, magnesium when my heart got a little fluttery, pills to make sure the pain meds would not slow down the bowel function and even shots in the belly for blood thinners.  From that, I went straight to nothing except for pain meds every four hours and that's it.   I guess it's in their rush to kick the patient out as soon as possible no one really sits down and explains what to expect.  Maybe they don't know because they only hear from a patient if there's an emergency and they're so focused on getting the job done that is no time or interest in focusing on "after hospital" care.

For those of you "of a certain age", do you remember when someone going for surgery was checked into the hospital the night before and kept in the hospital several days after to be sure all the possible problems had been taken care of before sending the patient home to deal with the aftereffects on their own?   I know there is no use talking about what used to be but sometimes the way things are done today isn't necessarily the best way.

Tomorrow is a trip to see the surgeon and I'm glad for that.  Not sure what I'm going to wear as my buddha belly eleminates just about everything in my closet.  Maybe I'll dress up a pair of these big pjs I bought.  What the heck.  Ha Ha Ha.  I was about to say "I have cancer.  I can wear whatever I want."   I take that back, but sometimes the "c" card just comes out.  So, I'll check in tomorrow after the checkup and let you know officially how I'm doing. 

Precious Lord,
We acknowledge You as the Great Physician, the Great Healer.  You have told us that Your healing Spirit is within each of us.  Give us the faith to recognize that Spirit and the energy to acitvate it and to go forward in this battle for victory over the hated enemy that is taking loved ones from us daily. 
Let me, Lord, be an example to others of what to do and what not to do so that they don't have to travel the same path that I am on.  It's not a path anyone would take willingly.
I am asking special blessings for those brilliant people dedicating their lives to uncovering the many ways to avoid and to kill this enemy.  Help me to help them spread the word to everyone I meet of what can be done to avoid having their lives cut short because of nutritional choices they've made.
Bless each one in this battle Father.  Just wrap Your loving and comforting arms around them, assuring them of Your constant love.  In the long run, Father, that's all that matters.
In Jesus' name,
Amen


1 comment:

  1. Funny your daily prayer should focus on nutrition and the relation it may play in developing Colon Cake ;0. In my 22 some odd years as a nurse I was shocked at the number of cases I saw coming from the Ft Bend County area and the Eastern European descendants in particular. Even had a Doc that specializes in the GI area asked me(she knew I was from the area) what I thought could be the trigger.
    After thinking about it for a few weeks this is my uneducated guess.
    FBC is mostly rural.
    That translates to farming.
    Farmers use lots of chemicals (herbicides and pesticides being the most toxic)applied by spraying close to the ground as well as by crop dusters.
    Those in rural areas most often use well water.
    Getting this picture?
    Another thought... the diet of the above mentioned ethnic group include lots of yummy sausage and beer (not just during the county fair, these food are consumed frequently and in large amts.)
    I LOVE a good pork/venison sausage, but since really thinking about what I may be doing to my body have reserved stuff like this for special occasions (like the above mentioned fair, lol).
    Thanks, Jo for giving me a space to finally get this (flawed tho it may be) info out where it may do some good.
    Stay positive!

    ReplyDelete