Sunday, June 17, 2012

Day 53 One Day Down, Next Day Up

The second my eyes opened this morning, I knew immediately it was going to be a feel good day.
Thank You Father!
I had planned to go to church but still not too secure in my driving or venturing that far from my bathroom.  I drive really slowly.  Really really slowly.  Best I stick with short trips for a few more days.

I did feel good enough to make a beautiful Coconut Meringue Pie for my new son-in-law.  This pie reminds me of my Dad.  He was a man's man.  Tall, strong, with huge oil field worker's hands.  When he returned to The States from Venezuela where we had lived and he had worked for many years, he and my Mom opened a BarBQ restaurant in Needville.  Somehow or other, he took on the job of making homemade bread and meringue pies every day.  No big Hobart mixers.  He did all the kneading with his strong arms and hands.  He was a man of few words and a man of integrity.  I miss him all the time.   If your Dad is still living, cherish and honor him today.  You won't always have that opportunity. 

I heard today from my friend John in Wimberley.  I wrote about his wife Jan a few weeks back.  She is fighting her third round of cancer.  After six months in the hospital and rehab, she is finally home.  I can't even begin to know what she has been through.  We'll pray for her continued recovery today.

When I was in the hospital and Pastor RO came to visit, he prayed a significant prayer for me before he left.  His words included, "In this test is a testimony and in this mess is a message."   This blog has become a testimony for me.  I hear from many of you so I know it has helped others make decisions regarding their own health.  I am asking you to share it with anyone you know with cancer, especially someone that is newly diagnosed.  Not that my words are so profound, but so that they can know that the ups and downs of emotions that go with a diagnosis of cancer  are a part of the process.  It's okay to cry and okay to be angry, but the good part - and there is a good part -  is that it's an opportunity to learn where the true source of comfort and healing lies.   And there is only one place for that. 

Heavenly Father,
I come to You today in humble gratitude for this journey you have given me, a journey where I have learned more about Your loving care than I ever would have before.  I have seen You in control, guiding the doctors to search for a source of my illnesses until it was found, guiding the surgeon to go above and beyond in testing so that my physical healing can continue.  Thank You Father for giving me the opportunity to reach out to others and to share Your love with them in a way I might never have otherwise. 
Lord, please hold Jan in the palm of Your hand as she returns home to continue her recovery.  Bless her with the strength and fortitude to fight this enemy until every rogue cell in her body is destroyed.  I ask that same blessing for me and for every one out there in this same fight. 
We love You and honor You, our true Father, this day.
In Jesus' precious name we pray.
Amen

 



1 comment:

  1. Jo, I remember your dad. He was such a gentle giant. Always felt safe knowing he was right next door. Heck I could just bang on my bedroom wall if I needed help in a hurry lololol!

    ReplyDelete