Thursday, June 14, 2012

Day 50 My Refuge and My Fortress

I am back again this morning to Psalm 91.  In the second verse, it says:

"My refuge and my fortress; My God in whom I trust."

Yesterday was my first checkup with Dr. Mahmood.  I walked into the building at 11am, exactly one week to the day and hour since I checked in for surgery at the building next door.  I had been told ever since diagnosis that a portion of the right colon would be removed as well as 10 lymph nodes removed to be checked for cancer.  When Melanie and I met with Dr. M, he told us that he had taken 25 lymph nodes instead of just 10.  Why?  It was just something he felt like he should do.  Of the 25 nodes examined, only one indicated any evidence of cancer. 

I know I shouldn't be but I'm still pretty overwhelmed by the "what might have been."  What if he had only taken 10 and the affected lymph node was not one of the 10?  Then I would have been sent home with a pat on my back and congratulations that no further treatment was necessary.  No further treatment, that is, until those evil cells found another perch and started to grow.  I just give God the praise and honor for guiding the surgeon's hands in completing an amazing feat of surgery and in influencing the decision to take 25 samples instead of just 10.  God is good.  All the time. 
So, appointment with oncologist - made.  Appointment for port for chemo - made.  I'm ready for the next leg of this journey.

Dr. Mahmood also released me to eat whatever I want.  What he didn't tell me is that just because he released me, my digestive system didn't release me.  So, for the first time in weeks and weeks, I drank a coke and ate some "regular" Chinese food.  That means it wasn't steamed chicken and veggies.  Yummo.  I loved every sip and every bite and then I walked most of the night bent over like Quasimoto, holding my tummy and groaning with gas pains.  Oh my gosh.  I finally had some hot green tea about 4:30 this morning and got a little sleep.  Okay, lesson learned.  Those guilty pleasures are not worth the payback.  Back to my healthy, alkaline, antiangiogenesis meals.  But, may I say, that meal yesterday was divine!

Precious Lord,
I am so blessed and so grateful for the loving care You have shown me through this journey.  It was only by Your hand that my surgeon went the extra mile for me.  I give You all the praise and the honor and the glory.  It's all You, Father.  It's all You.
I am asking a special blessing today for all of those dear ones who prayed for Your hand to be with me through this.  I know the power of prayer and that You are present in the united prayer of Your children.
I stand in the gap today Father for everyone out there fighting this hated enemy with no friends or loved ones to hold them in prayer as I have had.  Bless them, heal them and let them feel the comfort of Your protective love wrapped around them.
Thank You Father.  Thank You.
In Jesus' name.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment