Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Day 64 Another Day, Another Doctor

Today is the day I meet for the first time with the surgeon that is going to install the port for the chemo.  Sigh.........  Not looking forward to this but at least it's only temporary.  Six months and I'll be done.  I had thought that I would be ready for some shows in the fall, but I guess I'll have to wait to see exactly what the side effects are before I make that decision.  I am so ready to get out there and meet my collectors that I haven't seen for what seems like ages.

Good day yesterday.  Still no painting but did get the cooking done that I wanted to.  Black eyed peas and collard greens.  Yummo.  First the collard greens: I sauteed 1/2 small yellow onion in a little olive oil until soft.  Then I added the washed and chopped greens with a little additional water and plenty of salt and pepper.  Once they were almost tender, I added a splash of balsamic vinegar and a couple of squirts of honey for that little sweet/sour taste that offsets the bitterness of the greens.  I could probably have eaten the entire pan of greens but have to be careful with amounts now.  A full tummy isn't a happy one, incision wise. 

For the black eyed peas, I always used dried peas.  For some reason, to me anyway, when fresh ones are in season, they have a taste that just doesn't appeal to me.  Fresh or dried, this method will work.  I've cooked my peas this same way for years so this isn't just for alkaline cancerfighting food.   Easy peasy.  Just put the peas in a pot along with chopped onion, garlic, red or green bell pepper, celery and two carrots.  Cover with water and season with about 1 tbsp. of chicken broth granules, salt and pepper.  That's it.  Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover and cook until almost tender.  You may need to add a little more water but once they're almost done, uncover, stir often so that the juice thickens.  They're delicious with the carrots bringing in a sweet taste and even better the next day.  A little pepper sauce and it's a feast.   I may have to have lunch for brunch today.  Getting hungry.

I woke this morning with a feeling of gratitude.  I'm not sure what for, maybe for everything but it was there the second my eyes opened.  What a wonderful feeling.   I do have so much to be grateful for.   God has given me direction and allowed me to use this journey to maybe help or inspire others to care for themselves in a way they haven't before.  Our bodies are such amazing gifts and it is never too late to change old habits.   God is revealing more and more every day to us about how our bodies work and what we can do to keep them healthy.   He has also given us free will so it's up to us how we take our journey.   Isaiah 46:10 says:

"My purpose shall stand and I will fulfill my intentions."

Father God,
I am so grateful for the purpose and direction that You have given me.  I ask only in this that You give me the right words to spark a desire in people who read these words to learn more about their own health and to make the changes that will give them a stronger, healthier and happier life.
Thank You. Lord, for loving and caring for each of us fighting this hated enemy.  Give us the strength and fortitude to win a resounding victory against it.  Thank You for the tools to fight this enemy from every direction and the resolve to never give in.
These things I gratefully ask in Jesus' precious name.
Amen    

No comments:

Post a Comment