Thursday, May 3, 2012

Day 11 What's Your Sign?

Everybody and I mean everybody...........well, almost everybody..........has asked if I had signs that I have colon cancer and what the signs were.  I almost hesitate to say yes because I don't want to give anyone a false sense of security that, just because they have had no indications of a problem,  they don't need a colonoscopy.
My answer to that question is yes, I did have signs but they were repeatedly attributed to something else.  In 2006, I was privileged to be able to donate a kidney to my precious daughter Melanie who was in kidney failure.  At that time, I went through a battery of tests and was deemed healthy with no indications of any problems.  The incision from the surgery was a rather large one at my waist on the right side.  After the surgery there was a large spot on my right abdomen just under the incision where the skin was sort of numb.  It feels a little like when you've been to the dentist and the deadening is starting to wear off.  There is some feeling but not totally.  A couple of years later I began to feel a pulling in that area if I overate.  I thought first of all it was probably a hernia since I was warned about that after the surgery.  I mentioned it to a gynocologist when I went for a checkup and he said I should probably see an internist.  At that time I was dealing with some acid reflux.   The internist sent me for an ultrasound but only for above my waist.  When I explained the area I was questioning was below my waist, she said it was probably scar tissue from the incision, gave me a handful of sample bottles of Nexium for the reflux and sent me on my way.  She did ask if I had had a colonoscopy but didn't say I needed one nor did she order one. 
Skip to February of this year.  I decided I needed new doctors - Thank You God - and scheduled my well woman exam with Dr. Brian Heaps in Sugarland.  All my tests came back great, my blood pressure is always right around 120/80 with no meds.  He said I have osteoporosis - more about that another time - and insisted that I have a colonoscopy.  No ifs, ands, or buts about it.  I must have a colonoscopy. 
Now, I don't know about you, but I think a medical practice is also a business.  If my first impression is not good, then I'm not sure I want to do business with them.  The first doctor I was referred to took 8......that's right........eight days! to call me back to schedule an appt.  I explained that if it took eight days to return a call, I would prefer not to "do business" with them.  The second name Dr. Heaps gave me was for Dr. Manji and I thank God for that.  I love him and everyone in his office.  They are so helpful and gracious.
Wow, I've sort of veered off the subject and on to "WOMAN WITH CANCER ON A RAMPAGE".  I have an appointment with a colorectal surgeon today.  I don't like the woman who took my appointment and I don't like the woman who took some of my questions over the phone yesterday.  It would seem that someone dealing with persons with life threatening diseases would at least be congenial and maybe have a little smile in their voice rather than acting as if I were just another annoyance in her less than perfect day.  But, good news.  I'm taking my secret weapon with me.  Melanie will get me the proper attention.  I'll let you know tomorrow how it went.

Today, please lift up in prayer my friend Sue Werschky's stepson, Carlton.  He beat cancer that had spread to his liver and lymph nodes and is scheduled back at MD Anderson for a checkup.  Sue said he is always nervous and asked that we pray for a good report for him. 

Thank You Father, for a blessed and healing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment