Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Day 31 Don't Dis A Woman With Cancer

Oh, for goodness sake!  I had to go on a rampage again yesterday.  Well, it wasn't exactly a rampage but I did have to threaten to fire my surgeon to get a response.  And get a response I did.  Now isn't that just too ridiculous?  One simple phone call could have saved them and me a lot of stress.  I don't need to be upset at this point in time and certainly not upset with my surgeon.

My surgeon ordered a cat scan for last week for a more detailed exam over the pet scan.  PET, CAT...what's up with that, naming them after animals?   Anyway, he had the results in his office on Wednesday.  Needless to say I have been anxious about the results and called to speak with him about it on Thursday.  Got his medical assistant and explained my concerns.  No call back.  Called again on Friday.  Left a message again, this time on the MA's voice mail.  Along about 4:30 it occured to me that she may have left for the weekend without returning my call.  Oh no she didn't!  Oh yes she did!   When I finished, nicely I might say, explaining my position about not being called back to someone else in the office, I was assured that the surgeon would call on Monday. 

Ha!  Monday comes and goes and no call.  As you can well imagine, by Tuesday my blood pressure had spiked.  I called the office again and who do I get to speak with..........yep, you guessed it.  The medical assistant.  So I explained to her in no uncertain terms my opinion of how her office treated patients, that ignoring patients' concerns was unacceptable, not returning phone calls was unacceptable and, yes, I played the cancer card.  Sometimes, a girl's just gotta do what a girl's gotta do.   I finished by telling her that if I did not hear from the surgeon personally by 5pm, that I would find another surgeon, one who would be willing to respond to a patient's concerns.  Amazing the activity that resulted from that.  The surgeon called around 12:30.  Huge apologies and said he had not received any of the messages that I called.   When he suggested I call his medical assistant any time I couldn't reach him, I sort of went off.  I have to admit he took it well, assured me that his office takes my well being very seriously and when we finished our conversation I had another call from his coordinator to give me all her work hours, phone numbers, etc to call any time with absolutely any concerns at all, that she would always be able to reach the doctor quickly.   So now, that's behind me.  I'm still a little miffed but getting over it.  I did actually call for a referral to another surgeon and will keep that handy just in case. 

The good news is that the cat scan showed no other issues to effect my health.  The dr went over it with me organ by organ and system by system and everything looks good, with the exception of that polyp where the enemy resides.  Grrrrr...  But not for long.  Two weeks from today and it's outta there!  For today, I'm finishing up commissions, packing up art to ship tomorrow to a collector and to a gallery and working on a small wedding cake for my daughter's wedding on Friday.  I'm so lucky to have such a precious child and she's marrying the man that is perfect for her.  God is good.

Precious Father, thank You for all that You do for me every day.  Thank You for loving me and protecting me and holding me in the palm of Your hand.  Please forgive me being impatient and short with people and help me to be more understanding of others.  Bless all those precious cancer fighters out there today; give energy and victory to the war they are waging.  You promised us authority over the enemy and we stand on that promise as we defeat this hated disease.
In Jesus' name.
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment