Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day 13 The Best Medicine

Mini meltdown last night. 
The surgical coordinator called around 5pm to discuss scheduling the surgery.  My daughter is marrying the man of her dreams on May 25th with only Logan and I there as witnesses and then having a  celebration on June 2nd.  The doctor wanted to do the surgery right before the wedding which means I would miss both the wedding and the reception.   I got teary on the phone and couldn't talk for a while so the poor lady had to call me back.  Then she emailed me all these instructions.  Oh for goodness sake.  I have to do that cleanse again before surgery.  There should be a law against having to do that more than once in a lifetime.  Egad!  Then on top of that all the instructions regarding recovery.  Yikes!  This journey isn't going to be a little walk in the park.  By the time I'm back to normal, I'm going to know I've been somewhere and it's somewhere that I don't ever want to go again. 
My artist friends, Jack White and Mikki Senkarik, both have been through this and shared something that helped get Jack through overcoming the prostate cancer that had spread to his bones.  It was humor.  They can both testify to that old saying that "laughter is the best medicine."  Years ago Mikki also had her battle with cancer and won that one too so they both know what they're talking about.  Early on in this adventure they sent me a set of videos of Seinfeld, Season Three.  Well, Kramer got me through last night.  In my opinion, he is the funniest character ever created for tv.  Michael Richards may be socially unacceptable and politically incorrect, but he turned Kramer into a classic and I start to laugh as soon as he walks into the room.
I've turned off all the true crime shows, the news, and anything else that might stress or upset me.  Instead I'm back to watching all the old shows: Wings, Cheers, Coach, Frasier, Will & Grace and even a few I Love Lucy's thrown into the mix. 
In the meantime I had a good paint day yesterday, praise God.  I know that my art is going to play a huge part in my healing.   I started a large piece for the gallery in San Antonio, planned the palette for a commission I'm about to start for a collector who already has two of my pieces and finished the Magnolia on Red that I'll be posting today on www.myotherstore.etsy.com


So.... another day, another opportunity to praise the Lord, another opportunity to give thanks for my strong body and powerful immune system, another opportunity to support that immune system with the proper foods and supplements, another opportunity to bless the doctors that are taking such great care of me and to give huge thanks for all my friends and followers who are sharing in my journey through this blog.  Several of you asked about following and weren't sure how to do that.  At the top of the page there should be a small tool bar and "follow" is one of the options.  If you click on that it'll take you to a page where you can sign up to be notified each time I post and, by doing that, you'll  become one of the Prayer Buddies that join in prayer daily for someone else fighting this hated disease. 

Today, please hold up in prayer my friend Simon Casarez.  I have known Simon for many years through my best friend, Darlene.  Simon has been diagnosed with prostate cancer.   He has prayed for me since I was diagnosed and we are sending those prayers back to you, Simon,  for a complete remission of this disease so profound that it will never return.

Thank You Father God for another awesome, blessed and healing day. 

2 comments:

  1. Jo, We are so glad Kramer helped you through a tough spot. He certainly kept us laughing. I agree with you, he is one of our favorites. Right up there with the Honeymooners. Keep on laughing and praying. I'm with you on the pre-surgery cleansing, YUCK!
    Can't they schedule the surgery after the reception? Seems like an extra week shouldn't make a difference.
    Love the Magnolia painting. Way to go.
    Hugs, Mikki and Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Mikki again. Simon, you can beat prostate cancer. Jack is living proof. He was diagnosed in 2004 and he is totally cancer free now. You can do it! You are in our prayers. Mikki

    ReplyDelete